Monday 17 March 2014

Contemplating the Future



I started this blog about three times, trying to find a way to express my thoughts as I work my Mon-Fri job and realize I really, really don`t want to be doing this three years from now. Don`t get me wrong, my boss and co-worker are wonderful people and amazing to work with but...its not my dream. What I want is to be working in the fiber arts field. No expression has ever spoken to me like do what you love and you`ll never work a day in your life. I want to do what I love. I want to spend every day with yarn and crochet and knooking. I want to wake up each day eager to work. Because if its working with yarn, its not work at all.

When I`m working with a favorite yarn I often find my stitches slowing just so I can watch the play of color as it blends and changes, or shifts when the light hits it. This pleases my heart.

When I get a few rows done, I have to hold it up, just look at the magic that`s happening as I create this fabric, the drape, the shapes, the flow. This soothes my soul.

Crochet does not have to have a purpose. It`s enough that it is. It`s enough that it soothes and heals the stresses of the day. It SHOULD be indulgent and sensual.

I have such a love for luxury yarns. Not because of the price and prestige that`s often associated with natural fibers, but because of the sheer JOY of working with them. You will never get the sheen of silk from an acrylic yarn no matter how spectacular the acrylic is. You will never get the springiness of wool, the softness of Alpaca. Even viscose from bamboo has a feel to it that is amazing. When you work with natural fibers its not a craft, its an experience!

I don`t think I can put into words how it feels when you finish a project in a spectacular yarn, one you love so much you`re almost sad you`re done because that means you`re not working with it anymore. But here`s the best part...you can always start another. It never really ends because you can always make more things!

And when you wear what you`ve made, or gift it, or sell it, its such a thrill because you`re sharing your joy. That yarn you couldn`t stop touching because its sooooo soft now comforts someone else, brings a little joy and beauty to their day. And when they wear it, someone else sees it and it brings joy to them as well.

And that`s what I want to do. I want to help people to experience the joy and thrill of discovering what beauty there can be in taking something so utilitarian as crochet and creating something that pleases your heart and soothes your soul.

That`s my dream.
Tamsin

No comments:

Post a Comment