Monday 31 March 2014

Designing for this dummy

So I thought I'd share my process for designing. It's not hard or complicated really.

First, I get ideas from random things. Pictures on the internet, something I see in the store or on the street, or maybe just some random thought. Last week I was obsessed with figuring out what motif I could use that would easily lend itself to many uses. Finally I settled on the triangle. You can put it together a million ways for a million designs. So I went cruising Pinterest to get some ideas.

www.pinterest.com/tamsin5/motifs/

Well now I really had some ideas. Next, I need to design my own triangle pattern. I might get inspiration from others but my work has to be my own. Crochet is the only thing I'm any good at so it's a point of pride with me. I could spend hours drawing, trying to put together the stitches and then crochet but I'm more a fly by the seat of my pants type. So I grabbed some yarn and started stitching.





So these are variations on the same theme, trying out how the stitches connect and the triangle grows. Once I have an idea how this is working I have to see how they look joined.


Okay so far so good. I have a plan. But since I have an idea what yarn I want my final product to be in, I grabbed some left over and started working in that. Big surprise, its Mini Maiden by Handmaiden Yarns. Its like my favoritest yarn ever. Seriously, I'd marry this yarn and have it's babies.


Looks a lot different huh? That's why it's important to do samples in the yarn you want to use. Sometimes a whole project can be ruined by using a fluffy yarn when a smooth yarn is called for. Or a variegated yarn when a solid color is needed. But I'm not displeased with the look so I press on.



So that looks kind of cool. Time to roll production. Ball up a skein of working yarn. Mini Maiden in Pinata.





Such a beautiful spring color! It just makes me smile to look at it. And using it is always a joy. The intensity of the color shocks the eyeballs and makes my heart sing. And the feel! Its soft and smooth and silky and wonderful. So now I'm working away with this yarn and we'll have to see what the end result is. I've been known to change patterns mid project so don't be surprised if all this designing was for nothing. 

Do you ever spend hours on a concept only to scrap it once you're into the thick of it?








1 comment:

  1. Wow, the yarn really does make a huge difference in the outcome! And yes, I've definitely scrapped a few concepts after putting heart and soul into them. I mostly try to modify, to adapt, but sometimes, you just have to put something aside and start fresh with something totally different. I never toss scrapped projects, though - I set them aside as inspiration, or to maybe use in another project, or perhaps down the road, I'll be inspired to pick them up again!

    ReplyDelete